This is Me

My photo
I'm a displaced South/Central Texan living in Louisville Kentucky
I am a princess because I am a child of the Risen King! My background is Baptist, but believe I have a relationship not a religion. I married my childhood sweetheart and together we have raised two wonderful children and got them married off. I love everything about being a wife and mother. Now guess what? I am going to be a GRANDMA!! We are so excited for this next step in our lives.

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Prednisone is such a monster

I have nothing to wear. Nothing! Really nothing, nothing at all unless jogging pants and huge T-shirt are an acceptable choice for where I’m going.

This darn Prednisone is such a monster!! I was increased in my dose and then it happens so fast! Sometimes I think if I was just a big girl that would be ok and I would deal with that. But I look like a carton character of sorts. My arms and legs seems normal but my mid section is huge.

- prednisone side effects -
[“Weight gain is usually the most dreaded side–effects of steroid use, incurred to some degree by nearly all patients who take them. The amount of weight gain varies from individual to individual. In addition to causing weight gain, prednisone leads to a redistribution of body fat to places that are undesirable, particularly the face, back of the neck, and abdomen.”]

Because I had lost so much weight and was enjoying being a normal size again, this is harder than the first time. So I have been trying to find “diets”. I put it in “quotes” because I don’t know about a diet. I have just always been a healthy cook and sometimes “teased” for the lack of sugar in the house. In fact right now. We don’t have any sugar I have been meaning to buy some for about four months, but I forget because we don’t use it. Only people who come over for coffee, and I have Equal for that.

We eat our junk food when we get together with others but at home it’s usually pretty healthy. So now, I am looking for some kind extra nudge and help for what to eat when. So I started surfing the web when I cam across an article explaining how to lose weight-

Suggests eating fruit instead of ice cream, roasted chicken instead of fried…. these are all fine and dandy. Then a LOAF of bread instead of a piece of pie. I’m thinking they meant slice? Perhaps eating an entire loaf of bread isn’t the best weight loss suggestion? I don’t know, but I’ll be sure to test that theory and get back with you! I mean, I love homemade bread, and if eating a loaf is good for weight loss… well, I’ll just have to be a good little scientist and try that out!

I’m not sure even sticking to whole grains will make that work. But here I am very discouraged and praying for a way to help this get under control. The last time I went through this no matter what I did I couldn’t loose while on the prednisone.
The other problem is this also causes me to have High blood sugar, or steroid–induced diabetes. This is why I feel dizzy and fall asleep all the time.

Still looking for a “map” of what to eat at what time and how much. That I would love. I just want it to be that simple. I know asking a lot and being a bit lazy about it. But I feel I have tried it all on my own…..

2 comments:

Tonya said...

wanda don't worry about your weight as much as your health we love you!

Christi S said...

I am behind, so I'm gonna read to see what you're on the prednisone for! I was on it last year for a bad rash that turned out to be an allergic reaction, and I HATED it!! I feel your pain! Thank you for your kind email. I know things will be fine cause God's plan is perfect!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...